Dealing with Burn Out
|October 26, 2012||Posted by Madeline @ Food, Fitness, and Family under FitFluential, Fitness Friday, Weekly Workouts|
I can’t believe today is Friday. This week went by so fast because it was so busy. I came back from DC to meetings, hosting a spouse event, tons of volunteer work, homework, and so much more. On top that this is my second to last week of training before the Rock-N-Roll Savannah. I have to be honest with you guys … I am so freaking excited that this weekend is my last long run before the race. I am ready to sleep in on the weekends, or sleep at least until 7AM when Emmie wakes up These last couple of days I have lacked motivation to get out and do much. I have officially reached burn out. I think it’s reflected in my workouts this week as shown in Fitness Friday:
Sunday was the Army Ten Miler. I had such a runner’s high after the race. It’s kind of amazing how quickly it faded.
I fit in some speed work with 4x800m repeats on the treadmill for a total of 4 miles. After, I did Julie’s Spooky Circuit Workout. I definitely was a hot sweaty mess!
Thursday I had zero motivation to go to the gym. It was that burnout feeling at its finest. I didn’t go to the gym and had pretty much decided that I wasn’t going to workout. Chris ended up getting home from work earlier than normal so I sucked it up, put my shoes on, and headed out. I did an easy 3 miles and felt great. I ended up with negative splits: 9:21, 9:06, and 8:35. While I was glad I got the run in I still felt off.
SO, how do I go into my last week of training when I feel burned out? Come up with a plan.
Tips for Dealing With Burn Out
1. Take time to relax. I am going to get back to the nightly yoga I was doing before leaving for DC. It helped my brain and body relax before going to bed.
2. Go to bed earlier. Chris and I have been getting to bed at 11PM which is too late for me. 10PM it is.
3. Take the weekend off from blogging. Have you noticed that I haven’t been on Twitter as much this week? My burned out feeling extended to the blog. As of right now I have no plans on showing up on here until Monday. Now if that changes that’s ok but I am not going to feel pressured to blog.
4. Eat better. Traveling got my eating way off. Like WAY off. Got to get this back in check yo.
5. Enjoy my family. My mom and step-dad are in town and my step-sister and her husband will be here Sunday. Chris and I have a fall festival tomorrow night and Heather and I have organizing and running plans this weekend. I am going to soak up the good feelings being around family and friends gives me.
Hopefully I can come back on Monday feeling refreshed and ready to go!
How do you deal with burn out? What causes you to burn out the fastest? For me it’s that I always put a lot on my plate and go go go go go until I hit a wall. BOO.